Last year, however, things changed. We went to dinner at a friends house and they were having.... [gulp]... Taco Soup. Since I didn't want to be a jerkface by refusing to eat it, I decided I would spoon out a nice small bowl for myself and force it down my gullet.
I had three huge bowls.
It. Was. Delicious. I got the recipe, tweaked it a bit, and have made it MORE times than I care to admit in the last 2 months. Gotta make up for all those years of refusing to eat it.
Enough talk. To the recipe!
TACO SOUP! <--- SO FLIPPIN' GOOD!
- 2-ish lbs Ground Beef
- 1 pkg (or ¼ cup) Taco seasoning
- 1 pkg Ranch powder mix
- 1 onion (chopped.. sliced... however you like it!)
- 1-2 12oz cans corn
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can chopped green chilies (Old El Paso - usually in the Taco "supplies" area)
- 2 14oz cans sliced stewed tomatoes (sometimes I can't find the sliced ones... so I just cut them up with my cooking scissors once they're in the soup... lol)
- 1 14oz can tomato sauce
- 2 19oz cans kidney beans *the BEST part!*
In a large pot brown meat, drain, stir in chopped onions (I like to saute them for a bit, 'cause I'm not a fan of undercooked onions) and add all other ingredients plus 1 cup of water. Do NOT drain the canned goods, add all the canned juices into the soup! Cook until heated or until onions are tender. I heat mine until it starts boiling. There's nothing better than a steaming hot, burn your tongue, bowl of soup! Serve with fritos or doritos, cheese, and nice big dollop of sour cream (it's a MUST, people!)... THEN ENJOY! Make sure you have a napkin handy, 'cause those chilies will make your nose run like crazy. Haha!
You'll have leftovers... 'cause it makes a lot. But like most other soups, it's even BETTER the next day!